Candied Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies
It’s time for some graduate school graduation goodies!
One of my college friends is graduating from his master’s program at Westminster Choir College this weekend so I drove down to Princeton with some of these tasty morsels. Chocolate Chip Bacon Cookies.
Inspired by his love of bacon and his intense love for the chocolate chip cookies from Binghamton’s cafeteria, these cookies are chock full of semisweet chocolate chips and candied bacon.
It was late by the time I got there but I got a few decent nighttime shots of Princeton.
Plus I got a personal organ demonstration. Even with quite a few broken pedals and missing keys, we had a fun time!
Chewy inside with a slightly crisp exterior, gooey chocolate chips and smokey bacon, what more could you want in a cookie?
I think Leo and Nikita agree.
Never mess with a cat and her cookie.
CANDIED BACON CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
Author: Allspice & Ally
Recipe Type: Dessert
Bake Time: 10 minutes
Makes: 35 cookies
Standard chocolate chip cookies are given a tweak with the addition of candied bacon for an irresistibly sweet and slightly salty combination.
3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
3/4 cup ground oats
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
6 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons solidified bacon drippings
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
Candied Bacon Ingredients
6 strips of bacon
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/8 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
Candied Bacon Instructions
- Whisk together brown sugar, maple syrup and cayenne pepper in a bowl.
- Coat each slice of bacon in the mixture and lay flat on a cookie sheet lined with foil.
- Bake at 350°F for 25 minutes.
- Allow the bacon to cool on a rack until stiffened.
- Pour the drippings into a small glass bowl and refrigerate until solidified.
- Once cooled, chop the candied bacon into small bits and set aside.
- Whisk together both types of flour, ground oats, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Cream together both types of sugar wth softened butter and solidified bacon drippings until smooth.
- Add in the eggs individually along with the vanilla extract while beating on low speed.
- Slowly sift in the dry mixture until just combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and chopped bacon into the cookie dough.
- Refrigerate the cookie dough overnight.
- Roll tablespoon amounts of cookie dough and place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 375°F for 8 to 10 minutes until golden.
- Cool on a rack until ready to eat.
Pairs Well With
* If you’re not ready to bake the cookie dough right away, roll it into balls and freeze in a ziplock bag. It should last for a couple months.
* For extra credit, add crushed potato chips and pretzels to the batter right before baking.
* To recreate the cookies photographed above, find a cute cat to pose for pictures. Just make sure the cat doesn’t get hungry— they are bacon chocolate chip cookies after all!